Pakistani Bloggers

March 5, 2010

The Twilight of Mathematics

I wrote this story after I graduated from simple mathematics to further mathematics in my A'level.  A lot of you won't understand some parts, especially to do with the King and Abdul Azeez (only someone from my school will get those parts). For any math-illiterate reader, imagine graduating straight from learning 1+1 = 2 to ia + 1=z where a is real. Enjoy.


I gazed out towards the horizon at the P3, M1, S1 and P1 tribes as they receded into the dying embers of the sunset. I saw the bar graph family clunking along, followed closely by the rolling pi charts. There were the AP (Arithmetic Progression) GP (Geometric Progression) twins, the former's wailing growing louder linearly with each step, the latter's exponentially. I saw little Friction dragging herself along, putting up resistance with each step, moaning to Slope, "You can't force me to go, Mommy! I wanna go back!" But here was no turning back. Following a bloody revolution, the age of Mathematics had passed. It was time for a New World Order. It was the dawn of the Further Math era.
I turned to my left. There was Waqas, holdirng the hands of Queen Math. She had survived the purge due to Waqas's influence with the ruling party Politburo. I overheard her say, "King, Oh King, I hate to break it to you this way, but I think we should start seeing other people now. This relationship isn't going anywhere. Besides, I've found another guy."
"You ungrateful wretch! Where am I supposed to get another girl from!!?? You know we don't have any girls in Further Math anymore! The few we had were exiled along with the rest of Mathematics! Know what? You're one flighty bird. First it was that Thong dude, then me. Who's the guy now?"
"Azeez Sadiq, and he's gorgeous," the Queen giggled like a little girl.
"Well, I know you'll be back with me before long!"
"I'm done with you Waqas, you hear! DONE with you!"
"Yeah, Right, sure. That's what they all say." (He winked at no one in particular)
I then became aware of quiet sobbing behind me. I turned and saw the Numbers and Signs. Or what remained of them. The numbers 2 onwards had been executed by firing squad that morning, along with the Plus, Minus, Multiply and Divide Signs. All that was left of the decimated tribes were the Roots, Powers and 0, 1, infinity and 'i', who still didn't know what the hell he was. Rumour has it that his mum, a Number, had eloped with a travelling negative sign salesman, but left him because he had bipolar disorder, for a square root manufacturing CEO, who promised her a better life. Whatever happened after that, how 'i' was born, is quite complex, to say the least.
My reverie was interrupted by the high pitched rattling of an fx-991MS in the distance, probably mowing down the remnants of the Maths. It wasn't safe to be out at this time, so I started off for home. Once home, I realized I needed a hot cup of tea to calm myself after the chaos and destruction of the day. I entered the kitchen, only to see him staring at me. There, plastered on my refigerator door was a poster of our Leader, Comrade Rayer, in full battle gear: shirt, red tie, the works, gazing sternly into my eyes. It was he who had brought Mathematics to power 2 years ago, with characteristic ferocity. Always the Machiavellian, it was with the same ruthlessness he now brought Futher Mathematics to power. When Maths stopped serving him any purpose, he purged it on the 'Night-of-the-Crappy-A-Level-result-when-Farjad-got-a-U-in-GP' with such utter ruthlessness, he made Hitler's 'Final Solution' look amateur and botched up. His bloody coup worked and Further Maths were Top Dawgs now.
Beneath his picture, were inscribed the ominous words, 'Big Brother is Watching You'. In the home? Was nowhere safe? I sat down and wept. Comrade Rayer just gazed on, oblivious to the pain he had caused.

5 comments:

Abbas Moiz said...

and this is why i love u xP

Rabia Ahmad said...

Arithmetic* :p

Faysal said...

change made. i listen to my (proof)readers :P

THEOPPOSER said...

EPIC!

Anonymous said...

so i guess this is the usual further math class... and yeah some parts were a bit too advanced for my little mind..

Post a Comment

NO flaming or any vulgar comments

 
Copyright © 2010 Faysy's blog. All rights reserved.
Blogger Template by