Pakistani Bloggers

March 12, 2010

The Exuberance of a Multifaceted Youth (whatever that means)

I just finished reading a book, “The Best of Modern Humour”, compiled by well known Canadian author Mordecai Richler (published by Penguin), a thick anthology of the 19th and 20th centuries' funniest short stories from both sides of the Atlantic, or what Mr. Richler considers to be the funniest. I bought it about a month ago from the Sunday Bazaar for Rs. 250, after much haggling (got it down by just 50 bucks-I'm very charitable to shopkeepers). Leafing through the contents pages, I saw that it contained much promise, with works of P.G. Wodehouse, Woody Allen, Truman Capote and the inimitable Groucho Marx and Art Buchwald included. Judging by this, I felt Rs. 250 was a steal. I was to learn that one must never judge a book by its cover and especially not its content pages. While the first story (Stephen Leacock's 'Gertrude the Governess or Simple Seventeen') foretold great things to come, it was all downhill from there. Whereas the above mentioned authors (plus a handful of others) delivered, I failed to even guffaw at the rest of the 60+ stories, managing an enforced smile at best. It was when I was about half-way through the book that I chose to read the back-cover. It all became clear when I read the words, “Here are stories, plays and letters chosen by a connoisseur of high-calibre humour,...” Lesson 2: Judge a book by its back-cover instead. Of course! A very intelligent marketing gimmick. Include the words high-calibre, sophisticated, bohemian and/or esoteric and Weelah! People have to buy the book. “Have to?” you cry. Exactly. See, people will go to great lengths to avoid being caught looking like the ignorant philistines that they are. Some will even spend Rs. 250 if they must. Just look at their masses of fancy titles, lying untouched in bookshelves or on coffee tables for show, gathering dust. Their ego is at stake here. “Excuse me, Mr. Richler, are you saying that I'm too run of the mill to read high-calibre humour? I'll show you yet that I can go beyond innuendo and double entendres." And you buy the book, instead of the Captain America comic you had originally planned to purchase. It will be interesting to note, my 'enforced smiles' increased exponentially after I read the back-cover. I was actually finding humourous meaning where there was none.

Well, it was only a matter of time. I'm surprised no one saw it coming, considering my father is a practitioner of this age-old scam (for the most part). Since this is the reason I can afford to sit in front of a laptop screen with DSL internet and impart my wisdom to my readers, naturally, this topic is very important to me. Art, dear reader, has been abused. (A disclaimer about my dad is in order: in the 18 years I have known him, I have seen that he loves art because of the thrill it gives him, and not to look pompous or artsier-than-thou)
I extrapolate the above paragraph about 'The Best of Modern Humour' to include art in all its forms. I want to expose this scam for what it is. There are four main components of this big rip off- the artist, the patron, the critic and the common man. And they are all linked in a vicious cycle. I will discuss them turn by turn:

The artist: He usually, but not always, unwittingly plays a part in this scheme. Yet he is the most vital, obviously. He paints/writes/cross-dresses because it gives him some sort of emotional satisfaction. The kick other people get from bungee-jumping, he gets from manifesting his emotions in some form. Of course, you have those artists who end up churning out pulp-art to pay the rent or to make some big time moolah. His art is only bought by the public if he has reputation. And reputation is built by the art critic and the patron.

The art critic: Arguably the worst of the lot. To understand what I mean, think of that food critic in Ratatouille. Art critics tend to be full of themselves. They take upon themselves the role of the Oracle, self-righteously translating the works of the demagogue artist to a language understandable to the common man. Or more correctly, they spoonfeed into our mouths the viewpoint we should have about a certain artist. They pen down criticisms of the art in fancy words (The bold strokes of XYZ's pen clearly reflect the exuberance of his multifaceted youth), and the common man just regurgitates everything he reads. Thomas Carlyle said that the critics of his day were like sheep; place a stick in their path, and the lead sheep jumps over it. Remove the stick, and the rest of the herd does so too, even though there is nothing to jump over! Howard Bloom (former publicist of ZZ Top-the Texan band with the long beards) says: 
'Everything you’ve ever heard about pack journalism is true. In fact, it’s an understatement. Though journalists pride themselves on their intellectual independence, they are neither very intellectual nor even marginally independent. They are animals. In fact, they operate on the same herd instincts that guide ants, hoofed mammals, and numerous other social creatures.... If the key critics at the New York Times, the Village Voice, and Rolling Stone fall in love with a musical artist, every other critic in the country will follow their lead. On the other hand, if these lead sheep say an artist is worthless, every other woolly-minded critic from Portland to Pretoria will miraculously draw the same conclusion.'
He then goes onto relate his experience with the band. At its Minneapolis concert in 1976, two of the city's top critics were present. At the start of the concert, one was reading the New York Times' reviews and the other the Village Voice's (it had called ZZ Top's music 'hammered s**t'), gathering hints on what they should think of ZZ Top. Apropos to what they read, they cranked out damning reviews of the band, despite the crowd having gone wild in the concert (they called it a collective descent into tastlessness). Bloom then writes: 'For the first few years, the press continued to sneer whenever the
group’s name came up. But gradually, I got a few lead sheep by the horns (do sheep have horns?) and turned them around. The rest of the herd followed. One result: For the next ten years, ZZ Top became one of the few bands of its genre to command genuine, unadulterated press respect.
Eventually, the group didn’t need me anymore. They don’t to this day. The press is now ZZ Top’s best publicist. Say something nasty at a press party about this band, and those in the know will turn around and snarl, forgetting that over a decade ago they would have growled if you’d even confessed to listening to one of the Texas band’s LPs.'
See? Oh, and did you know, 'the' Picasso was reviled in his time? Then what happened? A repeat of the ZZ Top story. Did his art change? No, he had died by the time his work became popular.

The patron: He finances the artist. He picks an artist, mostly based on the critics' reviews he reads, and commissions him to continue his art under his financial aegis. He is usually a tycoon. He is the type whose home is dotted by pieces specially commissioned by him, so he can have something to brag about when the guests (the common people) come over.

The common man: You and I. The patron and the art critic work together to sell us (or not) an artist's product. And as mentioned at the beginning of the article, we want to look as sophisticated as these art connoisseurs. So we lap it all up, regurgitating the art critics' words (word for word) when looking at the paintings at the patron's house in order to impress him ('Yes, I can clearly see that the bold strokes of XYZ's pen clearly reflect the exuberance of his multifaceted youth). The patron has read the reviews too and knows exactly whom you're quoting, and feels very smug at his superiority. We, the Toms, Dicks and Harrys have forgotten the real purpose of art; not one-upmanship (though that is an art in itself), but simply to have fun. We feel the need to conform to society's opinions of a certain art form, even if it means praising something we detest deep inside. For example, I love Marcel Duchamp's abstract painting, 'Nude Walking down a Staircase'. For some reason, it reminds me of bio-physics (I first saw it in a physics textbook), so it fires my brain's pleasure centres. I love it because it makes me feel good. I don't know who the heck Duchamp is/was, and I have never heard or read reviews of his works in my life.
Marcel Duchamp, Nude Descending a Staircase, No.2 (1912)

Let's look at English Literature courses in schools and colleges today. I have been told that the purpose of English Literature is to learn to express ourselves by reading books by the greatest authors of history...like Shakespeare. With all due respect to him, NO ONE writes like Shakespeare anymore. You would be mad to, because no one would get a word you're saying. Sure, we can learn something from him, but how much? Yet, students everywhere are forced to read his works and comment about them like they understand them. If my readers like my writing-style, they should know that I have been influenced by the likes of Douglas Adams (of Hitchiker's Guide to the Galaxy fame) and The Harvard Lampoon, and not Byron or Tennyson.

I have one request to you. Get off the bandwagon, and make your own. Also, I'm sure you've noticed that I have dotted this article with obscure cultural references and have dropped some big names like Buchwald and Duchamp. It's a little sociological experiment I am conducting. Will my readers go out of their way to comment on this post, and maybe drop a few names of their own, just to show that they too, are art aficionados? Will they be verbose, like art critics? Let's see. I love being proven right. Who knows, if my blog makes it to the big time inshaAllah, I may be reading a review of this post soon (His self-righteous rantings about art bring to the limelight not only the hypocrisy that surrounds him, but also bubbles within)

10 comments:

Abbas Moiz said...

shhh! secret;) i think picasso was a rip off

Rabia Ahmad said...

A classic is something that everybody wants to have read and nobody wants to read. – Mark Twain

I do feel the need to clarify matters about Literature & Shakespeare...
Literature is, partly, a study and exploration of language. Writers like Shakespeare, Twain and Dickens are recommended and "forced upon students" because they have written such descriptions and used such expressions which contemporary writers can not even reach at. So, by reading their works, readers are expected to realise the beauty of such expression...It is a feeling only someone who has felt such a revelation can understand :D

Referring to "Yet, students everywhere are forced to read his works and comment about them like they understand them." the students themselves choose to study Literature, which does majorly explore classics...Read modern Literature (which is...?) and tell me where's the margin for any exploration of language and/or expression? Modern writers do focus on the plot and there is an element of gimmickry too... Which is why, "students everywhere are forced to read his works and comment about them like they understand them."

I do agree with parts about music critics though. :)

Faysal said...

Before reading this, I want you to look at yourself. Are you really defending English Literature because you need to justify your taking the subject? I understand that if you accept the above, you will have to come to terms with the fact that a lot of what you cherish and learn in Lit calss is quite pointless. I know that is very difficult to do but plz try. Done the soul searching? Good, then read on.
You say that writers like Dickens and Shakespeare 'have written such descriptions and used such expressions which contemporary writers can not even reach at.' True, and for a reason too. a) It's OLD english. You would be a nutter to write like that. Do you know that English is of German descent. Then why not study German literature? After all, Faust 'has written such descriptions and used such expressions which contemporary writers can not even reach at.' My point being, why draw the line at Shakespeare? Remember, language evolves. Tomorrow, Shakespeares English will be today's Faust (i.e. a completely different language) I mean, when was the last time you used 'withal' in a sentence? Do you think the modern reader understands that? b) You say that Shakespeare used such descriptions that no modern writer uses. Remember, Shakespeare wrote to please the masses of his time. What they found funny is completely different from what we find funny. They thought puns on words like 'sole' were hilarious; we think yo mama jokes are hilarious. Does that make Shakespeare 'high' literature, and say, Douglas Adams 'low' Literature? Claiming thus would be unabashed arrogance. Both modern writers and olden-age writers required the same amount of creativity and intelligence to write what they have. Who are you to say which ones better. Here's the clincher: what touched your heart more vividly? The Macbeth tragedy, or Khaled Hosseini's The Kite Runner?
Are ppl who hate Shakespeare intellectually starved? You say: 'So, by reading their works, readers are expected to realise the beauty of such expression...It is a feeling only someone who has felt such a revelation can understand.' EXPECTED to realise??? Are ppl who prefer pulp fiction emotionally unhinged because they don't see the beauty in Shakespeare? The guys who make the literature curriculum find Twain beautiful. They are in effect, forcing 'their' idea of beauty on us. I fing Bored of the Rings a beautiful bokk because of the ribald poetry which has a LOT of obscure cultural references. I think thats genius. You may not. To each his own.
Don't get me wrong: I'm not saying one shouldn't like the classics or read them. I'm not even saying ppl who REALLY like the calssics shouldn't do so. I ask for but 2 thibgs: a) don't like them to live upto a certain measure of intrellect b) You say literature is the exploration of language. That's a good thing to do, sure. But then why limit yourself to the classics? Sure they have arthur miller and Harper Lee, but where are John Grisham, the Hardy Boys and Khalid Hosseini? Isn't there beauty in pulp fiction too?

Rabia Ahmad said...

First things first, I am NOT defending English Literature because I take the subject. I would never do that. I genuinely like the subject and don't agree with how it's often so easily written off as useless (or gay... :D) And I don't think that "a lot of what you cherish and learn in Lit calss is quite pointless" Alongside our texts, we do learn a lot more, which we could never learn in another class...
Yes, I know that English is a Germanic language, but your suggestion of studying German literature seems rather reckless.. Only those knowing the German language can properly study German literature; of course translations are available, but to fully engage with the text, one needs to know the language. And then there are courses which specifically cater to the literature of other languages, eg Urdu Literature, Russian literature etc. I just deal with Literature in English so I'm sticking to that. The line has been drawn at Shakespeare, and not Faust, because the course is Literature in English (or even English Literature - point is, it is in English)...
My initial beef with your piece was with your claim that "students everywhere are forced to read his works and comment about them like they understand them.", so I felt the need to give an explanation for that. True, "Shakespeare wrote to please the masses of his time", but so do the writers today. Arthur Conan Doyle and Rowling brought back the protagonists of their books from the dead, right? Secondly, writers like John Keats and T.S. Eliot did not write to please the masses of their time. Keats wrote to proclaim his love (both, for his fiance, as well as his love and appreciation of nature) while Eliot wrote to vent off his feelings and come out of depression.
You seem to have the impression that a study of Literature only focuses on classics, which is wrong. We do have modern literature too, but we can't go too contemporary... the modern literature that we do is from the early 20th century. I mean, we can't just pick up novels released last year and put them into the curriculum, can we? A text needs to be tested over matters such as, language etc. and then it is introduced into any curriculum. Even in the sciences, you don't study theories which have been put forward, say, last year, do you? People who hate Shakespeare aren't necessarily intellectually starved, but the common practice of criticising Shakespeare on a superficial basis, without having much acquaintance with his work [this is not directed at you :)], is what ticks me off and so, here, I come in to defend a subject that I love and whose value I realise. True, there is beauty in pulp fiction but it is not practical to introduce into any curriculum, texts which are only recently released. Any text, or scientific theory needs to be tried to see whether it can stand the test of time

Faysal said...

When I mentioned Faust, my point was, where do you draw the line? Faust wasn't meant to be taken literally. What I meant was, a time will come (and I believe it already has) when Shakespeare will be as nonsensical to an english speaker as German is now.
I still stick to my point of, "students everywhere are forced to read his works and comment about them like they understand them." You may love Shakespeare, and theres nothing wrong with that, but face it, MOST kids who take literature don't count Shakespeare among their top 10 easiest to read books.
Also, please remember, in an argument, NEVER quote exceptions to the rule. Sure Keats and Eliot may have written for themselves, but most of the authors we read, got their books PUBLISHED, meaning they wanted the public to read them. Besides, if Keats wrote only for himself and didn't want the masses to see his works, why is it that he is among the most famous artistes of the day? Everyone knows about him. Why? By the way, there's nothing wrong with writing to please the masses.
I agree with you that Literature today has modern works too. I never denied that (I mentioned Harper Lee in my comment above), but I have to disagree with you when you say you cannot go too contemporary. Sure, you don't study every bestseller that comes out, but I really feel more emphasis must be placed on contemporary literature thatn the classics. After all, we must teach childeren how to communicate their ideas to a 21st century audience, not a victorian one right?
By the way, I really think we have strayed from my original topic. Sure, I have issues with the Literature courses of today, but that's a completely different blog post (Well, you know what my next post is :P) Infact, I think i'll just copy paste this conversation into my post about literature today. However, in relation to my post, my point in my original article was only this: society puts pressure on literature students to like Shakespeare and act like they understand him, so they aren't called ignoramuses. Also, I wish ppl would not take Dostoyevsky. Tolstoy etc.'s greatness as a given. Who knows, perhaps, Shkespeare's works came to be accepted as great in exactly the same way ZZ Top's music suddenly 'became' 'good' music (all the way from hammered s**t :P) My bone isn't with the works we study in literature (at least not in this article), but with the society that forces us to like them (again, it's okay if you do, but society shouldn't make us feel like crap if we don't either) THAT is why I wrote about literature (again, my problem with other aspects of literature is another post.)

Rabia Ahmad said...

I don't agree that more emphasis should be placed on modern works. Emphasis should be placed, and IS placed, on contemporary works but not more than that on the classics. Because even modern works stem from the classics, right? The roots are based in the original works. Many modern literary works are dotted with references from archaic works, to understand which, readers should have knowledge about the originals. You say that "we must teach children how to communicate their ideas to a 21st century audience, not a victorian one", well naturally their writing style will be modern, and not Shakespearean so it is better to acquaint them with classical works rather than focus on contemporary texts which they could read and understand even if they're not in the curriculum.
"MOST kids who take literature don't count Shakespeare among their top 10 easiest to read books." but most kids who take Literature EXPECT to study a Shakespearean play because he is one of the best dramatists of the English language and so it is important to know his works. Even in Urdu, we are expected to be slightly acquainted with Iqbal and Ghalib, right? Why? Because (I will repeat my point) it is important to be acquainted with the classics because that's where the roots of contemporary works lie.
And yes, we have digressed but returning to the original post; my complain, as said earlier, is with your claim that "students everywhere are forced to read his works and comment about them like they understand them.". I still maintain that students should be acquainted with classical works, so that they gain deeper understanding of contemporary works. Yes, modern works have their own beauty but they are rooted in the works of yore which students should have at least some familiarity with.

Rabia Ahmad said...

And one more thing. Technically, "Classics" are works from the ancient Greek and Roman era. Something I learnt in Lit class :p

Faysal said...

now thats what i call a good compromise. I'll bring the treaty to school tomorrow and we can sign it :P

~H.Suriya~ said...

Whoa i missed it, didn't know two articulate and perky art-lovers were having a 'classic' argument here. So here's my tuppence...
I'd agree with most Rabia had to say. I didn't have Literature in O levels and I admit I wouldn't have been able to admire/appreciate/interpret 'Anthills of The Savannah' (Achebe)or Miller's 'A view from the bridge' had I not done Julius Caesar before them. Its the poetic license among other things (cant come up with others, its 2 in the midnight) that Shakespeare possesses that makes him a class apart and thus i second that his work is an imperative to study if one has to understand Literature in english or otherwise.
After doing Julius Caesar, i actually fell in love with Hamlet. (is that vulgar?? :p) Caesar didnt have the exact desired effect on me that the Bard aimed, but I'd say I developed a better understanding and intellectual depth to appreciate one of his best, Hamlet. Ofcourse, that only followed because we studied his work (Caesar) only in the first year.

@Faysal: you seem to be influenced by Elliot, i find quite a semblance of his habit of throwing 'obscure cultural references' here and there, in your writings. But of course he doesn't drop as many names as you do.. :p

I'd like to add one example here that illustrates the importance of a contemporary writer. Saadat Hassan Manto, was ostracized for the obscene content in most of his dramas and short stories. Here in Pakistan, we don't see our families buying us Manto's writings to help inculcate literary habits in us. Nor do our teachers recommend him to develop an understanding of 'lierature on society'. Fine, it was obscene, yet his writings are one of the best reflections of the pre-partition society that is usually claimed to be highly pious, hence requiring independence. (lets not delve into this). My point is that I read him and loved the way he described the stark realities. By the way, we had to deal with some obscenity from Achebe and SHakespeare too (remember the 'nasty sty...' Rabia??)
Manto was revealed to me by an Indian friend, who is so in awe of his writings that he collected all the english translations of his works. That, however, does not suggest that this friend and I have some peculiar fascination for obscene literature, its just that it feels real to read about the realities.
This was all to reinforce Faysal's point that we are actually forced to read 'Twain because the guys who made the curriculum found it beautiful.' And we do not find Manto being read around (in Urdu Literature, or even English) because these same guys found it obscene. I hope this example serves to highlight what I gathered from above. But and this is a big But, Shakespeare cannot and should not be ruled out from our literature curriculum.
Ooops, i just realised I'm five months late...

Faysal said...

Sigh Halima...there you go with the English again lol, something else that really rubs me the wrong way. But yes, there is much truth in yor sayings

Post a Comment

NO flaming or any vulgar comments

 
Copyright © 2010 Faysy's blog. All rights reserved.
Blogger Template by