Pakistani Bloggers

July 1, 2011

It Came from Under the Sea

I love sharks. Their grace, beauty, intelligence and efficient hunting capabilities are parallel to none mashaAllah. I've loved sharks ever since I was a kid. Growing up, I was a bookworm. My idea of chilling after finishing the day's homework was going through this book, aptly called "The Big Book of Knowledge" my aunt sent from the States. This was the book that gave birth to my love of science and was definitely critical in my career decision making process. This book plus House is why I'm a doctor today. I still have this book and plan to pass it on to my kids inshaAllah.

So whenever I'd leaf through the book, I'd skip the sections on machines and jump straight to the parts on World History, Animals and Dinosaurs (I have kept all my childhood books on dinosaurs, cetaceans and sharks. I still leaf through them occasionally). The Sharks page was right after the page on Rays. The Sharks Page had the following picture of the rightfully feared and wrongfully misunderstood Great White Shark that I was scared to death of. So whenever I'd get to the page on Rays, I'd quickly turn the page so I wouldn't have to see the picture. But of course, my borderline masochism and desire to achieve an adrenaline rush would overcome my inhibitions and I'd always take a peak. And then I'd inevitably silently cry for a few minutes. Now, I dream of petting a Great White Shark. It's on my Bucket List.

Sharks are misunderstood. The movie Jaws has done a disservice to Great Whites everywhere. Sharks will only attack a HUMAN if they are really really really hungry, or if they mistake us for their usual prey, i.e. seals and turtles. Sharks have poor eye-sight. In fact, most shark attacks occur because the human is infringing on their territory. An attack is a perfectly natural response from an animal. In fact, of the 300 plus discovered shark species, only maximum 20 are dangerous to humans. Indeed, you have more reason to fear a mosquito than a shark.
Ive compiled some of my favourite shark photos. Take a moment to let their size and majesty sink in. And praise Allah (SWT) for His greatness in creating such creatures.


 Feeding Frenzy!


  This is for Vogue right?

 


My favourite photo of all time. Look at those eyes, how close the Great White is to the cameraman, and compare the size of the cage with the animal. Courtesy of Jeff L Rotman http://www.jeffrotman.com/


Ummm. this one's a joke. Duh.

See, who says sharks can't have a lolsharks.com of their own?



2 comments:

Siyab said...

"..my aunt sent from the States.."

you simply had to tell us that, burger insaan :P

Usman said...

I wish i could find and write about interesting stuff like you do ! mashallah its a great post and i love the pictures

Post a Comment

NO flaming or any vulgar comments

 
Copyright © 2010 Faysy's blog. All rights reserved.
Blogger Template by